Rich source of protein and minerals. Contains the same amount of protein by weight as meat, but without the fat. Called "the meat of the earth" (daichi no niku).
In Japanese folk wisdom, said to help enhance your memory and avoid senility.
- Raw material for miso, soy sauce, tofu, yuba, soy bean milk (and desserts) and natto.
- Daizu no nimono, soy beans simmered with konbu and shiitake
- Hijiki-mame, soybeans with hijiki sauteed in oil with soy and sugar
- Eda-mame, fresh green soy beans eaten out of the pod.
- Moyashi or soy bean sprouts are used in various grilled foods.
- Soy beans can also be used in salads.
- They can be used in tempura, resulting in a beer snack.